06 July 2011

SMALL CHANGES, BABY STEPS {WINNIPEG CHILDREN'S PHOTOGRAPHER}

Yesterday I unboxed my first full-frame DSLR - my Nikon D700. To say it was much anticipated is an understatement. The Canada Post strike meant that the camera had to wait to be mailed for about a week, and after that it meant that the post office was backlogged and it was going to take an extra week for it to leave its first post office and make it to Winnipeg. Finally it got here yesterday.

So after I rescued picked up the camera from the post office, took my baby girl with all four kids in tow to her doc's appointment for her new cast (which they didn't actually replace), we grabbed a Little Caesar's Pizza and headed off to the splash park. As the older kids were getting wet, and my baby was chewing on pizza and using the stroller as a jungle gym, I finally unwrapped my treasure.

It's everything I hoped it would be...the depth of field is so much more dreamy, the skin tones are so much more even, the sharpness is absolutely life-like, and the ease and accessibility that I loved on the D90 are even better on the D700. It's perfect.

As a children's photographer of kids on the move,  one major thing I look for in a camera is the auto-focus, and ability to quickly find the kids' eyes and then to snap a frame before they move  - which they inevitably do within about .3 seconds. This camera seems a bit slower than my D90 to release the shutter once it finds focus. My D90 was immediate. I think the delay is probably actually me, and it's going to take a bit of practice, which is why I have a few practice sessions scheduled and coming up....stay tuned for photos!!

I'd post a practice shot of one of my kids, but it's a VERY rare occasion when I get good shots of my kids. They're so used to my camera that they either ignore me completely, or give some very strange face and pose that makes you wonder if they've dislocated a joint....or maybe their lips. So here is a pic of something that has grown very dear to me through the years, as it has supported my mothering role day in and day out for most of the past decade:

I've also taken the plunge and joined TWITTER!! You can follow me by clicking on the side of the page!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...