27 June 2011

COMING OUT...{WINNIPEG CHILDREN'S PHOTOGRAPHER}

For quite a while now, I've wondered if I should keep my blog simply business, or be a bit more personal in this little corner of cyberspace. The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. I already have a personal blog, (And if you happen to find it, please never tell me because I like to believe I still have a bit of anonymity when I'm in the produce section of the grocery store lecturing my son about eating brussel sprouts before paying for them), and am not sure I can keep up both at the same time. But it just feels so stark here without a bit more personal touch. So here I am....coming out to say hi and just be real and be me.

I get a lot of questions about why I am so particular about my clientele and brand of photography. Why don't I do weddings? Why don't I do pets? Why don't I do events or family reunions? The answer is: because I don't want to. The truth is that crowds make me nervous, and I'm just not that into weddings. Family reunions make me want to puke. Sorry...it's the truth. I'm not passionate about pets, unless they're being held by an adoring child...

But I really love kids. I really love photographing kids. Maybe I secretly love playing Simon Says and the other games we play to get them to relax and smile from the heart. Whatever it is, it's what I love and something that I don't get tired of doing over and over and over again.

And the reality is that kids are my life. I'm with kids all the time. My kids are my life. I have four kids, and we homeschool. I'm quite literally surrounded by kids most hours out of the day, and I get them. I like their quirks, their games, their imaginations, and their energy. That's why, to me, it's absolutely undesirable to try to get kids to sit still and smile for the camera. It's sort of ....well....miserable for everyone. And for most kids, it's not natural. Pics of my kids sitting still in one spot with stiff necks and stiff smiles is not what I want hanging on my own walls, because that's not how they are. I want pics of them, their personalities, their souls...not just what they look like.

A lot of people get all worked up in knots when they think of taking their kids to a professional photographer. The thought of their little tykes running circles around a bewildered person holding an expensive camera out of arm's reach and biting their fingernails while being tied up at the ankles is enough to make them lose their lunch. They think, "How are we supposed to smile and act like a happy family when our kids are behaving like wild animals?" If that sounds like you, then listen closely: Your kids have nothing over on mine.

Nothing.

My kids - all four - are high-energy, imaginative, and ornery. I have nerves of steel, baby! I don't even notice anymore when my two year old climbs on top of the table, or my eight year old builds a bike ramp in the backyard...and my three year old tries to go over it with her training wheels. Wild animals like bullfrogs, dragonflies, baby birds, scorpions, and leeches are on my six-year-old's list of regular catch-and-release pets. My two year old broke her leg last week on the trampoline. Seriously, your kids can't scare me, and I honestly don't mind if they literally run in circles around me. Eventually they stop for a split second, and I'm ready to click away! Every child is beautiful, and every child is worth the effort.

This is my son, who was hiding in the prairie grasses "like a cougar" on Father's Day. It's my favourite pic of the weekend. It's totally him. He's in the zone, ready to pounce on his prey....that would be me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...